Dexa stands for ‘Dual Energy X-ray Absorptiometry’. It is the most commonly used test for measuring bone mineral density. It is the best way to diagnose osteopenia.
- Heredity. Personal and family history
- Low body weight – especially anyone with a Body Mass Index less than 19
- Lifestyle: both in the past and present
- Nutrition and Diet – What and when we eat affects the bone building cycle.
- Diseases that create osteopenia and osteoporosis risk factors.
- Chronic inflammatory disease – rheumatoid arthritis
- Leukemia and lymphoma
- Some drugs can increase your osteoporosis risk