Human papilloma viruses are a group of more than 100 different viruses.
- About 40 types of HPV are spread during sex.
- Some types of HPVs can cause cervical cancer when not treated.
- HPV infection is one of the most common sexually transmitted diseases.
- About 75 percent of sexually active people will get HPV sometime in their life.
- Most women with untreated HPV do NOT get cervical cancer.
- Some HPVs cause genital warts but these HPVs do not cause cervical cancer.
- Since HPV rarely causes symptoms, most people don’t know they have the infection.